I've seen it transliterated into English as ma'ili which supposedly means "inclined" or "slanting." I'm looking for the Arabic word. Is it مائلي?

enter image description here

  • @Sazid The picture shows verses 18 to 29 of Surat al-Maa'idah, starting with "[The Jews] and the Christians said we are the children of God and His beloved ones..." (verse 18) to "I want you to carry my sins and your sins..." (29). – Ikram Hawramani Jun 28 '13 at 4:02

It is written مائل (maa'il) in Arabic, which does indeed mean slanted. Another name for this early script is حجازي‎ (hijazi) in reference to it originating from the Hijaz region of the Arabian Peninsula.

Later Quranic manuscripts switched to Kufic which is a reference to the city of Kufa in Iraq where it was first developed.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy