Greetings brothers and sisters,

I've looked all over for the answers to this question yet I'm still confused and have not come to a conclusion. I am to marry a Muslim man, and I am Sunni Muslim but he is Shia Muslim. We have both realized this is a problem and that the sects are generally against each other and there have even been some political issues. I don't know what to do, and I feel hopeless. My family is not keen on letting me marry a Shia man, but he and I are both Muslim and we are looking for a way for him to convert to the Sunni sect, or anything that can help. He is not strongly bonded to the Shia sect at all or it's beliefs, he is more leaning on the Sunni side, and we don't know what to do.

I hope it is not haram for me to marry a Shia man. My biggest concern is what he can do, how he can join the Sunni sect?

  • 4
    Sect is not religion. You don't need to convert to a sect, just start believing in it. – The Z Feb 4 '19 at 3:01
  • 1
    Sit down with your parents. Ask them what they define in a Muslim, I suppose as a Sunni it would be to follow the Sunnah of the prophet and the Qur'an. All Shias agree to such. Hence it shouldn't be a problem. Perhaps your father can ask him a few questions about the two. That being said, Shia or not, your father's permission is required. So that is something you must resolve – Thaqalain Apr 23 '19 at 17:00

He needs to change his beliefs that Ali is just a sahabi as are Omar and Abu Bakr, and follow the quran and the Sunnah, pray five times a day like sunni people etc.


As long as your husband follows what the Sunni sect teaches and has the intention that he has Sunni then he can consider himself Sunni. Make sure you follow the obligations of marriage when marrying him though.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.