When referring to members or worshippers at a Christian church, I might use the word 'parishioner', or possibly even 'congregation'.

Are there equivalent words specific to the Islamic faith for those who regularly attend or worship at a particular mosque?


2 Answers 2


A group of people offering prayers together is called a Jamaat or Jammah. Congregational prayer can be observed in any place as required, not necessarily a mosque; and a person joining a congregation for the first and last time is as much a part of it as a regular.

Regarding parishioner: I am not aware of any formal term for regular worshipers at a mosque that would differentiate them from non-regulars. Memberships or registrations are not a feature of Islamic congregations.

  • Musalli : an Arabic word, also an Urdu word, this word means a congregant of a mosque. As @Umh pointed it does not differentiate between regulars and non-regulars. This is the word that a Priests in Mosques in India use to refer to a member. Apr 19, 2020 at 22:12

The word congregant can be used, although it's not Islam-specific.

Actually this question came up on English.SE: “Parishioner” vs. “congregant”, who also offer other possibilities:

To refer more generally to those attending services at a particular time, you could simply say worshippers or attendees; for all adherents, there are a variety of terms employed, such as the brethren or the faithful, or the more mundane churchgoers or the observant; communicants captures the sense of those in communion with the Church as opposed to outsiders.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .