I often encounter Muslim people here or there who claim that atheists, Christians, Jews, tribal pagans, [insert a group of people], etc. and people who do this and that will go to hell.
Now, I want you to consider the following cases:
- You're born into atheists parents in Scandinavia. You've heard Islam by name. You died at the day after you hit the puberty (so, technically you're not a child at the time you die).
- You're born into a Christian family in the USA. You've always been told that Islam is devil's work and Prophet Muhammed(pbuh) was a pseudoprophet. Thus, you have always had that prejudice towards Islam during your life and this kept you from research Islam deeper.
- You're born into a Muslim family somewhere in the Africa. You've been a victim of female genital mutilation. Parents told you that they did this to you in the name of Allah and it was a part of the faith. Then you're forced to marry with an old creep who used to beat you and rape you often. Later, you're saved by Christian missionaries who brought you to somewhere in the Europe. You converted into Christianity and started to publicly speak against Islam. You never looked back into your old religion due to the traumas you experienced during the childhood.
My question(s) is as follows:
- Can anyone but Allah know who will go to Hell or Heaven ?
- If yes, what is the basis for it? What can be said about the people I mentioned ?
- If not, then doesn't people who easily pass judgement upon others like they have the knowledge of the Allah commit a major sin ? They claim that they are knowledgable on a subject of which only Allah is knowledgable. Moreover, if their judgement turns out to be wrong on the Judgment Day, then they are liars. They might also discourage people who are interested in Islam and thus possibly hinder their conversion.
Please do not take some special cases like Abu Lahab, Prophet Muhammed(pbuh) and some companions etc. into account when answering. We know the decision about them only because it was revealed by Allah.