I came across the question Working in banks in an Islamic country. According to my understanding of the answer by
Shaykh Muhammad Saalih al-Munajjid,
You are doing haram if you are helping someone in anyway who is doing haram.
I could not ask this question to shaikh because of website's response
We apologise for not reaceiving questions at this time, however, this is due to a backlog of questions we are experiencing.
If my above statement is correct then what about below cases
- Governments borrow money from World Bank or other countries, which is definitely interest based, to run various projects e.g. health, education, welfare, highways, etc.
- Governments keep their money in Central Banks, which lend money to other banks or states or any other financial institutions and earns interest on that money.
- One of the source of income is Tax payed by citizens.
Government is involved in riba business by helping World Bank in earning riba and earning riba herself by lending money. I am helping government by paying taxes. Am i involved in riba-business?
- I am a network engineer
- working in a company having riba-Bank as one of its client
- I go to a mall by a taxi/cab
- and purchase a t-shirt
And here is the riba-chain
- Bank is involved in riba
- my company is helping them to maintain their network so the company is involved in riba
- i am helping the company so i am involved in riba
- taxi/cab driver helped me so s/he is involved in riba
- shopkeeper helped me providing t-shirt or i purchased t-shirt by riba-money so the shopkeeper is involved in riba too
Can one imagine when would this chain end!! Is there anything which would left without riba!!
I actually couldn't get the meaning/context of help in
It is not permissible for a Muslim to work in banks that deal with riba, because that involves helping them to engage in riba-based transactions in one way or another, by writing them down, witnessing them, guarding the bank, etc. Helping them in that manner is cooperating in sin and transgression, which Allaah forbade when He said (interpretation of the meaning):
“but do not help one another in sin and transgression”