I have been married for 7 years. During this time, since the day of my nikah, my husband has taken absolutely no financial responsibility for me. I work and take care of myself. I have explained my situation below - I am very upset and would welcome guidance on best islamic approach to take. Jazakallah
- For 7 years my husband has taken no financial responsibility for me.
- For 5 years my husband has not been working. So, in addition to caring for myself, I have also covered all his expenses, and ran the home (mortgage, bills, food, day to day expenses, purchased car for myself and husband and covered any work needed in the house, in addition I have paid for every single item in the house).
- My husband has been working now for 1 year but only in the last 2 months has he stated to cover the household expenses, I still cover my expenses, and his, and still contribute where needed
- For the past year I have been very sick - I was advised by all my doctors to stop working, I handed in my resignation but my husband insisted I withdrew it as he could not run the house without my financial input so I returned to work ill and in pain.
- During my illness my husband has not cared for me much, I have attended most appointments and treatments alone. I have continued to cook and clean in addition to going into work whenever i was fit enough to do so
- I am now pregnant but i have been very ill, my husband has again not cared for me at all and when I suggested I stop working again insisted I continue.
- To this day my husband has not paid for anything for me nor has he ever bought me a gift or token of love or consideration.
- We have been arguing a lot this past 6 months about his lack of care consideration and love for me, a few days ago he finally admitted that he cared for me but did not love me as a husband should love his wife but considered me more like a sister.
I am disgusted, upset, feel betrayed used and now that I am pregnant and need my husband the most and need care and support he has abandoned me. He says that despite him seeing me more as a sister we should continue to live as husband and wife and stay married I cannot do this I got married to have a husband and after all the sacrifices I have made the effort and commitment and hard work I have put into this marriage with nothing ever given to me in return. I feel, I deserve better than this - I am considering divorce but feel scared and vulnerable due to my current condition.
Your advise greatly welcomed. Thank you.